Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Whose Job Is It?


Feels like it has been forever since I have had a chance to sit down and even think about writing anything. Between Thanksgiving, my work week, working extra at the Tennessee High School Football championships, teaching CPR at the high school, and spending time with family, to say I have been busy is an understatement.

Being as busy as I have has also given me time to think about stuff as well. As a captain with my department, I have certain duties that I have to do. Making sure my 5 assigned stations are clean, equipment is in a state of readiness, apparatus are clean and nothing broken. On top being captain, I am also Public Education and Information Officer for the department. Needless to say sometimes things get missed or put on the back burner simply because there are not enough hours in the day. I don’t want it to seem like I’m trying to make excuses but its reality. I am one person and as much as I want to do it all it just doesn’t happen like I plan.

If I miss checking something, miss a P.R. event, or something is found wrong on a scene when needed it’s on me. What really baffles me is that if the question is asked about why something didn’t get done or what’s wrong with something, the answer is “it’s not my job”.

I realize that if I slack off, it’s my fault. I’m human, things happen. Instead of saying it’s not my job, step up and do it. Not to make you look good or me look bad, but because it needs to be done. It don’t matter who’s job it is , if it gets done and we don’t look like a bunch of jack wagons on scene that because someone didn’t do their job, it’s all good. Finger pointing and the blame game can be discussed back at the house and a solution can be found. I have done my fair share of picking up slack. I know everyone else has as much going on as I do and things fall through the cracks unintentionally. I am not above picking up a broom or taking out the trash if an engineer or firefighter missed it.  It needs to be done, so does it.

So whose job is it? The answer:  it doesn’t matter! It needs done. We all need help from time to time. From the chief to the new guy, get in there and get it done not for self but for the good of the department. We all look good together, we all look bad together, we are a team and like the old saying goes there is no “I” in team. We could all do better at stepping up and getting it done making it our job so that we all look good.

Until next time,

Stay Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment