Saturday, November 10, 2012

BUILD ON THE BASICS


I may be sticking my neck out here and alone in my thinking, but this is how I see it. I have heard it said, a few times recently, that we need to get back to the basics when it comes to training. I have thought a lot about this and have to say.... I disagree. Why go back to something that never should have been left to begin with? The basics are the foundation on which everything else stands. They don’t change.

Look at it this way, it’s like baseball. You were taught the fundamentals, the basics, at age 5, how to throw a ball, swing a bat, and catch a pop fly. As the years went by your throws become more accurate, your swing modified, and you can catch a fly ball without fear of getting hit in the face. You had to build on the basics to throw 100 mph fastballs, hit homeruns, and snag fly balls.

The same applies to firefighting. We all learn the basics at the very beginning and build upon them as we go, adding another block on top of the foundation. It’s like taking an advanced ventilation class without ever having basic ventilation. You are going to be as lost as last year’s Easter egg because you don’t understand the principles of ventilation and the little things that the basic class teaches. Thus the reason it’s called advanced, it builds on a foundation that is already there.

My point is why would you want to go backwards? The basics have not changed. Build on what’s already in place. If your foundation is strong the rest will stand with no problem. Never stop building.
Stay Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment