Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ladder Failure...

So I was reading this report today from NIOSH about ladder failure on a 1975 American LaFrance 100ft stick. As I was reading I seen something that caught my eye. Now, I don't want to put anybody down here but here is what the article states...

" When he reached the fly section the tip bounced then twisted to the left. He continued climbing and as he reached the tip, the ladder continued twisting to the left and the three sections beyond the bed ladder section began to slowly collapse. The collapse accelerated and the ladder struck the ground with the captain clinging to it."


I am no genius, but, I like to think I have enough sense about me to know when to say "something ain't right here." When the tip twisted before he ever even made it there he should have stopped and backed down. I don't know how much it twisted at first but I know you can feel those things bounce, sway, etc. It was just a few weeks ago when I was at the top of one. 

I am glad to see that the captain had non life threatening injuries and is ok, these are injuries that could have been prevented though. Hopefully lessons have been learned. 

Like I said before, not wanting to put anybody down or Monday morning quarterback, that just caught my eye and I couldn't pass it up.

Full article can be seen here: http://www.firefighternation.com/article/news-2/niosh-pennsylvania-captain-injured-ladder-collapse

Everybody be safe this evening!!!!!

ZW

No comments:

Post a Comment